Ingredients for Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium sweet onions, such as Vidalia, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ cup gold tequila (optional)
- One 14- to 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fried corn tortilla strips
- Grated Colby or Monterey Jack cheese for garnishing
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed, leaves chopped for garnishing
How to make Chicken Tortilla Soup
Step 1 – Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers and onions and sauté for about 2 minutes, until softened.
Step 2 – Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the tequila (if using) to the pan and cook until it is almost evaporated.
Step 3 – Transfer the contents of the skillet to the insert of a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, broth, and chicken.
Step 4 – Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 5 – Place the tortilla strips in bowls, ladle in the soup, and top with the cheese, cilantro, and the avocado garnish.