Watercress Soup with Bacon Dumplings Ingredients
- 25g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 large floury potatoes (about 800g),
- chopped into small cubes
- 200g watercress, leaves picked and
- stalks chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh horseradish, grated (about
- 25g unpeeled weight)
- 11⁄2 litres vegetable stock
- olive oil, for drizzling (optional)
- 8 streaky bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- Parsley, finely chopped
How to make Watercress Soup with Bacon Dumplings
- Start by making the dumplings, mixing the bacon with the breadcrumbs and parsley. Shape into 15-18 balls – the bacon fat will hold the dumplings together. Cover and chill.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and onions, and cook for 10 mins until soft. Add the potatoes, watercress stalks and horseradish, and cook for a few mins more, then add the stock and bring everything to a simmer.
- Once the potatoes are tender (after 8-10 mins), stir in most of the watercress leaves, put the dumplings into the soup and let them poach for 3-4 mins.
- Gently lift out the dumplings with a slotted spoon and put to one side. Whizz the soup in a blender and season.
- Divide between 6 bowls and top each with 3 dumplings. Drizzle with olive oil and add a few watercress leaves to serve.