Ingredients for Turkey Minestrone
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ cup dry white wine
- One 14- to 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes, with their juice
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Rind from Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, cut into ½-inch pieces (optional)
- 3 medium zucchini, diced (about 1½ cups)
- 1 cup 1-inch pieces green beans
- (about 5 ounces)
- 4 cups bite-size pieces cooked turkey or chicken
- One 15-ounce can small white beans or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 head escarole, tough leaves removed, cut into 1-inch pieces, or two 10-ounce bags baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon salt (you will need more if you don’t use the cheese rind)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces fresh cheese tortellini, cooked according to package directions and drained
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for garnishing
How to make Turkey Minestrone
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and rosemary and sauté until the vegetables begin to soften, about 6 minutes. Add the wine and allow it to boil for 2 minutes, stirring. Add the tomatoes and cook for 4 minutes, until some of the liquid evaporates.
- Transfer the contents of the skillet to the insert of a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker. Add the broth and cheese rind (if using). Add the zucchini, green beans, turkey, white beans and escarole and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Season with the salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked tortellini. Cover and cook on high for another 30 minutes or on low for 1 hour.
- Garnish with the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese before serving.